PASSPORT READER TESTING AT ITS BEST
BSI TR-03105 Part 4 – Test Plan for ICAO-compliant Proximity Coupling Devices (PCD) on Layers 1-4
Edition 3.0 from 2016-11-04
In this Edition of the BSI TR-03105 Part 4, the focus is on lower-layer (meaning ISO/IEC 14443-1 .. -4) reader device testing. Both earlier editions of this specification were based on ISO/IEC 10373-6:2001 (the first edition of the general test standard for ISO/IEC 14443-compliant products) but this third edition is based on the ePassport testing standard ISO/IEC 18745-2:2016. This standard is divided into 4 Layers as defined in ISO 14443-1 to 4.
Which devices can be tested against this standard?
- eMRTD readers such as Handhelds, Palms, Mobile Phones, Document Reader, Desktop Reader and ID Scanners
Which test methods of this standard can be performed at Arsenal?
Most of the below mentioned test methods must be performed at different positions
Layer 1 Tests
- 3.1 Alternating Magnetic Field
Layer 2 Tests
- 4.1 Operating Field Strength
- 4.2 Modulation Index and Waveform
- 4.3 Load Modulation Reception
- 4.4 EMD Immunity Test
- 4.5 EMD Recovery Test
- 5 Layer 3 Timing Tests
- 5.1 Frame Delay Time (Type A only)
- 5.2 Bit Bounderies
- 5.3 Start-of-Frame and End-of-Frame Timing(Type B only)
- 5.4 Timing before PICC SOF (TR0 and TR1) (Type B only)
- 5.5 Timing before PCD SOF(TR2) (Type B only)
Layer 3 and Layer 4 Protocol Tests
- Please refer to ISO 10373-6 Annex H and Annex I
Which test tools are used for testing of this standard by Arsenal?
- Arsenal Studio with ISO/IEC 18745-2 testsuite
- Test PCD Assembly – Arsenal Testhouse – you can order this right here
- Reference PICC Class 1 – Arsenal Testhouse – you can order this right here
- Reference PICC Class 1 -6 Set – Arsenal Testhouse – you can order this right here
- Oscilloscope with active probes – Rohde Schwarz RTO1024
- Signal Generator – Rohde & Schwarz SMBV100A and NI MP500 TCL3
- Amplifier – Rohde & Schwarz BBA100
- Positiong Robot – Denso VS-087
Which information must i provide for performing the test methods of this standard?
In order to ensure a proper test setup, it is mandatory for you to provide a completed ICS
(Implementation Conformance Statement) document, which can be downloaded here or alternativly filled online.
The DUT must have a test interface to be able to be set in the following modes
- CARRIER ONLY – Unmodulated Carrier in order to enable field strength measurements
- REQA(or WUPA) commands at all supported bit rates
- REQB (or WUPA) commands at all supported bit rates
- LOOPBACK MODE with Command Sequence at all supported bit rates